Thursday, May 27, 2010

The cold that wouldn't end...

All 3 of my boys (that would be Jason too!) are going into their 3rd week of having the same cold virus. My poor little Tanner has a mild case of bronchiolitis (inflammation of the small bronchioles commonly caused by RSV and other upper respiratory viruses) with minimal wheezing, a cough and congestion. We haven't started using the Albuterol inhaler yet as his doctor and I decided that at my discretion I would only use it if I believe that the home care isn't improving his symptoms in the next 2 days. He is his usual smiley self when he is awake, cooing and talking to his big brother, just more noisier with his breathing! But it breaks my heart to see his little body work so hard at coughing. The joys of being a second child....T didn't have his first cold until he was 7 months old and even then it was only a runny nose, and I think I've mentioned before that he never had a virus that caused him to cough until he was 3 1/2. "It has begun!" right Aunt Cathy?! My friends warned me about this whole second babies get sick more thing, just didn't think it would happen so soon.
T was officially diagnosed with his first, and hopefully last, ear infection on Monday. He had woken up several times the night before crying, but this isn't unusual when he misses a nap the day before and is over tired, or when he is sick so I didn't think anything of it initially. Then 6:30 that morning, I wake up to a little boy sitting at the base of my bed, holding his right ear, telling me there was something wrong with it. I got an early am appt and sure enough his middle ear was bulging so we now have the ever so popular bubblegum Amoxicillin for the next 10 days. I was a bit hesitant to start him on the antibiotics, as it is now expected that many cases of Otitis Media resolve on their own within a week, and there is such a high prevalence of antibiotic resistance due to the over use of antibiotics in pediactrics. However the doctor and I agreed that with his clean health record in general, and no history of ear infections, that treating it this time would only be of benefit. T has been in amazing spirits as usual, and hasn't complained about ear pain since the first day.
On to the third baby, Jason! Bless his heart he is such a complainer when he has a cold! I think he is the grumpiest of all 3 of them:)

1 comment:

Aleyta said...

mannnnn those 3 boys are lucky to have you!!!!!