Thursday, April 30, 2009

I need a real vacation

This week has been quite possibly been the craziest time at work in my 3 years at Kaiser. The swine flu has the public in a panic, understandably so, and everyone is convinced that they have it and need to be seen NOW. To give you an idea of how busy, on any average busy day for me at work the longest wait time for a patient to talk to me could be around 8 to 10 minutes, that's usually between 5:30-6:30 when parents are getting off work and picking up their sick kiddos. This Monday and every day since the waits have gotten up to 40 minutes and our patients are not happy about this. Parents are getting frustrated because if they want appointments there are none to be had as all the clinics are booking up way earlier in the day and there are only so many doctors and staff and clinics that are open. By the time I actually speak to the parent after 40 minutes of waiting, they are mad because they had to wait so long and blame their wait time on the reason there aren't appointments. And I feel badly for the parents who are calling for non swine flu related concerns that are caught in the mix. We ARE working overtime so it has nothing to do with Kaiser cutting back as most people like to yell at me about.

Today being Thursday is actually my Friday so I'm happy to for that.

I do need a real vacation, not a weekend, not an overnight... I need palm trees/ beach/ room service/ sunsets/ sleeping in/massage...Maui if I'm being honest...did I forget Jason? He could come if he wants! But who am I kidding, I'm a mommy now, I'll have one when he goes off to college! For now a quiet hour to myself at home while T naps is the most I can get. I hope Jason has a nice relaxing fishing trip in Tahoe Memorial weekend...I'm not bitter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, you poor thing. I'll bet you need Maui pretty bad. Plan it as soon as humanly possible!!