Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tanner Chris Warren

On Saturday March 6 at 8:41pm, we welcomed our baby boy Tanner! At 36.6 weeks, he weighed 5 lbs. 14oz., and was 19 in. long, and is so tiny but strong and healthy. Our family of 4 is now adjusting to life at home and we are so full of love and feel such unbelievable support from our family and friends.

Birth Day.............
So as many of you may have known, last week I had decided at the last minute to take 2+ weeks of maternity leave, instead of working up until my due date of March 25/27. So my final day of work was scheduled for Monday, March 8. Well, I guess maternity leave just wasn't in the master plan for me!
It had felt like it hit me overnight and all last week I had really been feeling the major discomforts of pregnancy, as I had been lucky to have had so much energy and not a lot of aches and pains throughout. Friday, at the urging of my friend Kim we took our kids to Hidden Villa farm in Los Altos. I had planned to make sure in my last weeks that I got to take T on as many outings and fun activities as possible, and that day, although my discomfort was very apparent (what with the penguin waddling, shooting/numbing pains in my pelvis, and constant Braxton Hicks contractions) I was determined to have a fun day with T. He had a wonderful time wandering the farm of course, but I was so ready to get off my feet and rest. That afternoon, I had another prior obligation to oversee a dance class at my old dance studio so rest was out of the question that day. The Braxton-Hicks just kept coming throughout the night and I had so much difficulty (ie: PAIN) up and down from sitting or laying position. Saturday morning was packed with activities too in that my prental massage was in the morning then the afternoon was T's Little League Pasta Feed and Raffle so little rest was in the foreseable future.
Brief summary - Saturday morning I got up and my water broke. Kaiser Santa Teresa (a block away from our house!) was "overbooked" so they admitted me to Santa Clara Homestead. I took 3 hours to get ready before heading over - showered, did my hair and make-up, and made breakfast for T. It was very calm and relaxed.
Contractions had stopped so Pitocin started around 2pm. Contractions immediately got going, and lo and behold, back labor again! By 4 cm, decided back labor sucks (had it with T until 7-8cm) and asked for some Fentanyl, which just made me lightheaded, so immediately asked for the epidural after 7pm. Epidural worked for initial 6+ contractions, Mom and Katie walked over to Starbucks. Suddenly started having those urges to push, checked me, I was 8 cm. Kim called Mom and Kate - told them they better hurry back. Next contraction put me over the edge, checked me and I was complete. I was told I pushed for maybe 15 min. Epidural - made my left leg numb, but I felt all of the pain...apparently at some point it wore off.
I was incredibly lucky to have such an attentive nursing staff and resident who listened to my requests throughout my labor and delivery. And I was most lucky to have my Mom, close friends Kim and Krissy, and most of all my sister Katie(who flew in from Las Vegas at the last minute after only being there 15hrs) all in the room supporting me through this birth.


Here are T and I on Saturday morning-our last "just T and Mommy" picture












T meeting Tanner for the first time on Sunday morning

I really missed my big boy while he stayed with my parents

That is one proud Big Brother



T already multi-tasking...playing games and holding his brother

Tanner with his Bok Bok


T keeping busy in the hospital room after 5 hours there - Thanks to his Papa for finding ways to make it fun!

Getting ready to go home...

2 comments:

Shelley, Nick, and Baby G said...

Welcome to the wonderful world, Tanner! We cannot wait to meet you.

Aleyta said...

BEautiful photos!!!! I love you Kristen :)